Gerardo Martino quits as Argentina head coach

Gerardo Martino has resigned as head coach of Argentina. The 53-year-old departs just days after Argentina lost on penalties to Chile in the Copa America final.

Martino’s resignation leaves the frustrated squad, which is still reeling from Lionel Messi’s retirement, in chaos just a month ahead of the Olympics.

The former Barcelona coach said he and his coaching staff had decided to stand down due to management disputes in the association and difficulties in getting a squad together in time for the Rio Games.

The blow comes less than two weeks after Messi announced his international retirement in the wake of defeat to Chile, which sparked demonstrations by fans desperate for him to stay.

Martino’s decision was “due to the lack of clarity in the naming of new leaders for the association and the serious inconveniences in forming a squad to represent the country in the coming Olympic Games,” said a statement issued by the Argentina Football Association (AFA).

Argentine media said Martino was frustrated at clubs not releasing players for the national squad in time for the Olympics.

Martino had taken over following the 2014 World Cup, and lost just one competitive match during his time as coach, against Ecuador in a September 2015 World Cup qualifier.

In total the coach won 19 of the 29 games he directed, with seven draws and three defeats.

He led the team to the Copa America final last year and again last month in the centenary edition, only to suffer consecutive penalty shootout defeats to Chile.

The president of the Argentine Olympic Committee, Gerardo Werthein, told a radio station shortly before Tuesday’s announcement that there was a “50-percent chance” Argentina would miss the Olympic football competition.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *